Monday 9 February 2015

If You're Going to Worry, Worry Right.

Today in my accounting class, my professor, Jim Stice, gave all of us some beautiful advice. He invited us to look back on the past five years and to look at the Lord's hand in your life. He asked us to contemplate how we've been guided, even when we thought we were on our own.

Often when we're thinking of the future, we become overwhelmed at the prospect of what we have to overcome. We only see the many challenges we face matched with our many inadequacies, and we don't see how we're going to be able to get through it. We forget that the Lord will be there with us in the future, just as he has been in the past. 

We're prone to worry. Where is my life going? What's going to happen? Professor Stice says, "Good.  Good is going to happen. It's going to be fine." And really, that's so true. God is investing in us, the future leaders of his church. If we don't make it into the major we were wanting, or if we don't get that job we wanted, or anything else happens in a way we were hoping it didn't, it's all fine. Maybe God is helping us dodge a bullet. Maybe it wasn't right for us. Whatever happens, we are in the Lord's hands, just like we always have been. 

Professor Stice asked us to learn the following simple truths from someone who learned the hard way. 

"Worry about the present. The future will take care of itself. Worry less. Enjoy more."


The simplicity of his message struck me. I know that the Lord is looking out for me. I know that everything that happens, the perceived good and bad, is all from His hand, and I trust Him. With that trust, what then do I have to worry about? Knowing that He loves me removes so much of the negativity from life. Every experience can become positive when we look at it with God's perspective of time, destiny, and growth. 

My challenge to myself is this: follow Professor Stice's words of wisdom. My stress levels have been slowly building up for the past two weeks, but I realize that though my circumstances aren't in control, my attitude about them is. I can choose what I worry about, and I'd rather worry more about the things that I actually have the power to change. I will take the actions I need to for my future, but I'm going to worry less about it. If I do everything I'm capable of towards my future, I should be calm knowing that I've done all I can, and that the Lord has helped me every step of the way. 





5 comments:

  1. Everything you mentioned is so true. I've also been worrying on and off about my major and internship opportunities. Some things work out the way I plan them, but most don't. The great thing is that everything ends up working out for the best. Every single time. I'm definitely amazed at how much the Lord takes care of us and every little detail of our lives. So I agree with the quote you shared, "Worry less. Enjoy More." It sounds like a good principle to live by.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think the principle of trusthing it will all work out applies to every time of life. I don't know when I have not been worried about something, at least since elementary school, and I am sure even then I was upset about something. So I think the faith and trust that things will work out is one of the most important attributes we should try to acuire because it will always be applicable.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Amazing insights. I have to say that I am a super huge worrier when it comes to trying to plan for the future and I really do just all of those things that you mentioned were detrimental. I am constantly trying to look ahead and plan everything out perfectly while simultaneously becoming more and more aware of just how impossible even getting up the next morning, for example, might be. I once saw a Mormon Message in which Deiter F. Uchtdorf talks about the moments that matter most and how sometimes we just need to admire the things that are around us right then and to not worry about every little detail. I guess I just simply need to see all of the things that I have to be grateful for and have greater faith in the Lord that things will work out.

    Thank you for that inspiring post,

    Bryson

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thank you for your post! You made some excellent points. I wonder why it is so easy to worry. Why do we assume the worst outcome? As we live the gospel with faith, we can have confidence that things will work out. It's so easy to forget that simple, simple truth. I have the best way to instill this truth in my life on a daily basis is to strive for me sincere prayer and frequent study of the scriptures. I justify not having enough time because of school and work, but honestly without constant spiritual nourishment, school and work will suffer. We can look forward to the future in faith. Thanks again for your post.

    ReplyDelete
  5. You said:

    "I can choose what I worry about, and I'd rather worry more about the things that I actually have the power to change. I will take the actions I need to for my future, but I'm going to worry less about it. If I do everything I'm capable of towards my future, I should be calm knowing that I've done all I can, and that the Lord has helped me every step of the way. "

    I'd like to be able to say this as well. I always feel like I need my life to be working perfectly in order not to worry - but that is impossible.

    There is no such thing as a perfect life, "it's just life, so get on with it." - Doc Holliday in Tombstone.

    ReplyDelete